Thursday, May 23, 2013

Parenting Advice

One thing I've learned since becoming a mom is that EVERYBODY feels entitled to tell you how to raise your child. Listen, I'm all for friendly advice and tips but when people tell me I'm a bad mom for doing something they didn't do, it gets annoying.

Example # 1:

I pierced Ashtyn's ears when she was 3 months old. Did she cry? You better believe it! Did I feel bad? Yes I cried right along with her. Did she die? NO! Right after Ashtyn got her ears pierced, a lady walked up to me and said, "I sure hope your happy that you put your innocent little baby through hell. I can't imagine what else you'll do to her. You shouldn't be a mom." Uhhhh... at this point I proceeded to cry even harder. :) I also get random ladies who tell me how mean and horrible I am because they notice her ears pierced, I've even received a couple glares. :) Keep glaring ladies cause those earrings aren't coming out anytime soon.

Example # 2:

I love letting Ashtyn meet new people. Especially the ladies at my work. They LOVE talking to her and playing with her and since I know them and work with them every day I feel like it's ok for them to hold her. The other day while at work, one of those sweet ladies said to me, "You know... you really shouldn't let random people hold her, she could get sick and then die." You my sweet friend are exactly right. I shouldn't let random people hold her, BUT you are not random and neither are the rest of the people here that I KNOW. 

Example # 3:

Breastfeeding... This is a kind of awkward topic, but probably the one that gets brought up the most with me. I didn't breastfeed. I did want to, but it just didn't end up working so well. I have a sister-in-law is totally for it and a sister-in-law that didn't really care. Both of their kids are perfectly fine and pretty normal, (if not above, but I'm totally biased.) I'm not pro or against it. I think if you want to do it great, if not thats alright too. My child isn't any slower than a child who is breastfeed and isn't any smarter (that I know of). Just because it didn't work out for me doesn't make me this horrible monster mom. 

Like I said, I love getting friendly advice, but I think I'm doing an alright job so keep your mean comments to yourself.. :) End of rant!

3 comments:

  1. mom advice is the worst. the only person I appreciate it from is my own mom. we're all doing our best. raise her with love and everything else will work out regardless of how it's done.

    you're a great mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jenna! you are sweet!! :) our little girls need to be good friends!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,

    It is customary in my family to have ears pierced as an infant. I am twenty-four now, and I agree with your parenting advice. I’m very glad that I had my daughter's done when she was so little for several reasons. Mine were done early and I wanted my daughter to have a good experience having her ears pierced so I did it early.

    First, I don’t ever remember not having earrings, so I was absolutely not traumatized by the experience.

    Second, by the time I was old enough to realize what they even were and why they were in my ears in the first place, they were healed enough to where I had the choice to just take them out. Then when I wanted them back in about six months later, I just put them back in, no problem.

    Third, your baby senses your emotions, so if you are nervous or anxious, then will she be so. Regardless, she is going to cry because her head and body are being steadied so her earrings will be perfectly centered on her lobes. I’d be crying too! But trust me when I say, she’ll barely feel the piercing, unsure, then feel her ear lobes. They are are so thin, she won't feel the small piercing earring through the softer skin and cartilage of her lobe.

    Fourth, a good thing to do days before is to fell her ears so she is used to someone handling them and marking the piercing spot. When all is ready, sit her on your lap, and have the piercer do each ear separately to center them properly. Doing both sides at the same time can lead to uneven holes is she moves at the last second or two piercers are off the count of 1-2-3. If you're still nervous, then have someone the baby knows almost as well as you, like an aunt or grandmother, sit with the baby while you go cry in the bathroom (my mother did this with me).

    Lastly, if you are even considering getting your baby’s ears pierced, then just do it. If she doesn’t want them when she’s older, she can just take them out. Simple as that. She'll thank you later when her little friends in pre-school are envious of her earrings and wish their moms had pierced their ears as an infant like you did.

    If you're looking for info, our ped gave me some info who and where to have it done as well as the best type of piercing earrings for your daughter. Write me an e-mail for them.

    Amy

    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete